The Ashokan Center
An Eco-Retreat campus
The oldest outdoor environmental education organization in New York State, and Ulster County Green Business Leader award-winner, the Ashokan Center’s bucolic 385-acre campus is comprised of fields, forests, trails and streams and powered by 100% solar energy since last year.
Schools have used Ashokan's "classroom" of forests, waterfalls, stream-fed ponds, and open meadows for over 40 years. Music camps, blacksmithing conferences, and retreat groups have called Ashokan home while schools are not in residence.
The land also features a number of historically significant structures including Turnwood Covered Bridge (1885), the original Marbletown Schoolhouse (1817), and the Winchell Farmhouse (1780).
Environmental education continues to be at the forefront of Ashokan’s offerings, with nearly 5,000 students annually taking part in overnight and day programs focusing on natural science, living history, colonial crafts, music and the arts, team building, and life-changing experiences in the great outdoors.